Sunday, May 3, 2020

Pokemon!


I was blessed with being able to bring my book series to the American Librarian Association (ALA) Conference this past summer and while I was there, it hit me that I really wanted a Pokemon t-shirt! I didn't get into the series until I started playing Pokemon Go! and ever since, I've fallen in love with the designs of the characters! I knew how much fans enjoy the starters, and no lie, I do too, so I decided to start with the characters I knew (at the time) that were in the game.

I'm an Eevee fan, so I added her and her evolutions to the mix. As I started adding them, I realized, I wanted to add ALL of the characters I liked. Machop was an easy add but he also helped me figure out how to add Magickarp to the mix. From there it began spiraling out of control!

The original sketch was on a 9x12 sheet of paper, so when I wanted to start adding more to the layout, I started another 9x12 on the side. As that layout grew, I realized I was going to have to make this a Triptic, and add another sheet to the right side. I tried to make them mirror each other in their layout to force your eye back to the middle, but then I had to figure out how I could make this an 11x17 illustration so I could add it to my portfolio. That was when I figured out how I could add the larger Pokemon to the list.

Did you know that some of your favorite Pokemon aren't more than 3 ft. high? Even the larger ones aren't more than 5 ft high. There are only a few in the foreground that are, so I relegated the larger ones to the background.

How many Pokemon do you think there are here in total? My previous grand total of characters per page was hit on my X-men Illustration. Do you think I beat it here?

If you'd like a copy of this illustration, head to my Etsy page and order it there at http://www.etsy.com/shop/thelearningcurv or click here!

Check out my instagram, @thelearningcurv to see a close up of the full illustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment